Elderflowers are appearing in the fields and hedgerows so it’s time to get the Elderflower Cordial recipe out again … this is the drink that you can find sold at the Barley Sheaf & Harbour’s Reach Cafe, delicious with some sparkling water, ice – and borage flowers to make it beautiful too!
1 lemon (unwaxed if possible)
25g citric acid (eg from Mallets)
15 elderflower heads
- Heat water & dissolve sugar into it – careful to stir, or it will caramelise!
- Grate the zest of the lemon & add to sugar-water
- Half-squeeze the lemons & cut them into slices, add to mix
- Add citric acid & elderflower heads, stir
- Leave to steep overnight, or 12-24 hours
- Sieve & bottle – it should last several months